Nicole Eisenman’s playful public installation Grouping of Works from Fountain (2019) is the centerpiece of The Green at 401 Park.
Unveiled in 2019, the installation features several monumental figures of bathers, situated in various positions of repose around a shallow pool of water—an ode to the art historical precedent of fountains as a social hub and life source for city dwellers. An earlier version titled Sketch for a Fountain (2017) was a hit with the public (and vandals) when it premiered at the 2017 edition of Skulptur Projekte Münster. In the initial Münster version, the figures were made of both bronze and plaster, but in the new iteration they are all bronze.
“The thought-provoking sculptures Nicole Eisenman has created are a perfect fit— both for this site and for The Fenway,” says Steve Samuels, founder and chairman of Samuels & Associates. “They will be the centerpiece of our new public park space, shifting Boston’s cultural center of gravity and connecting the historic prominence of 401 Park to the Emerald Necklace and the MFA. We hope that the spirit of these works inspires others in this neighborhood and beyond to support innovative artists who are rethinking the world and to bring their works to our city.”
Park Rules and Regulations
- No drugs of any kind are permitted on the property
- No weapons of any kind are permitted on the property
- Disruptive activities, vulgar language, and/or threatening behavior is strictly prohibited
- Sale of goods prohibited without prior written consent.
- Use of the 401 Park logo need to be approved by an Event Services Manager
- Events in 401 Park must end by 10:00 pm on weeknights (Sunday through Thursday) and 11:00 pm on weekends (Friday and Saturday)
- No amplified sound before 8:00 am and after the end of the event
- Sidewalk chalk and water-based chalk paint is not permitted.
- The use of stakes in any way is prohibited (Pavilions, signage, games, etc.)
- If heavy equipment is necessary for an event, loading requirements at all support points will need to be provided. The load capacity of the site will depend on the type of loading of the equipment, i.e. point loads, spread footings, etc. and shall be approved by building management in writing prior to the event.
- All tent installation must be approved by building management prior to an event. Staking or weighting tents is not allowed.
- No golfing
- Proper attire required
- Entering the fountain/pool is strictly prohibited
- No throwing items into the fountain/pool
- Please be respectful of the artwork
- Water is chemically treated; no drinking from the fountains